|Our StoryWineryTasting RoomWine ShopWine ClubEventsAwards||
DeBeque Canyon Tasting Room
DeBeque Canyon's Tasting Room is located in the winery in Palisade’s Town Center. When visitors enter DeBeque Canyon Winery, they will find themselves immediately in the heart of the winery. There is a small area for tasting and sales, as well as a gift shop of unique, wine related gifts. The tasting area is nearly surrounded by oak barrels, tanks for fermenting, and equipment used for bottling. The wonderful smell of wine is all about. We invite you to visit, and enjoy tastes of our full flavored red wines, fruity white wines, and lush ports. Tours are available on weekends, or by request.
DeBeque Canyon Winery Tasting Room — 970.464.0550 Do you need a map?
The building is one of many built in Palisade's early years, an area which has been known as a fruit growing district since the late1880's. Pioneers from the upper mid-west, and immigrants from middle Europe and Italy came seeking their fortune in this part of the west. They brought with them their history of farming and mining. By the late 'teens, much of the surrounding land had been divided into 5-40 acre farms, and a number of businesses lined the dirt streets of the Town of Palisade. During this period, and continuing into the 1930's, coal mines began to dot the surrounding Book Cliffs, a formation which extends from the Colorado River at DeBeque Canyon in Mesa County to eastern Utah.
Some of the immigrants brought cuttings of grapes with them, and there are remnants of very old vines still found in the Rapid Creek area just east of Palisade, as well as a few isolated locales in the older sections of Grand Junction.
The building that DeBeque Canyon occupies was built by the Peach Growers Association about 1903 for packing fruit. It was called the "Basket Shed". Boxes, as we know them today, did not exist. The freshly picked and sorted fruit was packed in wood crates, or in small to medium sized baskets for display and sale. Most of the fruit, in wood crates, was shipped by rail to markets back east.